Sunday, December 9, 2012

I’m Not At Church

RainbowFBCC
It’s strange – I’m not at church this morning, and my health is fine. It’s my husband’s health that is of concern. He’s scheduled for a fistula implant this week (no, we don’t have the schedule, yet) and there’s a virus going around. It was suggested we not be in crowds, just in case. He needs to stay well and get this accomplished or there could be another month’s delay due to the surgeon’s holiday schedule.

It does feel strange.  Oh, I’ve stayed home on days I’ve not been well, but that’s an entirely different situation. I’m at a loss, really.  I’m missing out on a lesson covering a couple more verses in 1 Corinthians’ 13th chapter, too. I’m missing a sermon given by our Youth Minister. Our pastor has gone to another church for a special baby dedication service, his third grandson!

I’m missing the fellowship, too.

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. (Hebrews 10:25 KJV)

I will miss the support, the advice, the urging we receive from our fellowship with Christians. I never miss their prayer support, though! That has been the source of much strength over this past year when we literally passed through the valley of the shadow of death. We received prayer support from loving Christian brothers and sisters literally around the world.

Just as we pray for others’ strength during difficult times, we receive the same urging from our fellowship to grow our faith and remain close to our Lord. It is wonderful to know that there are people who continue to repeat Samuel’s words:

I will pray for you unto the LORD. (1 Samuel 7:5b KJV)

Samuel was praying for the entire nation, after they had complied with God’s request:

And Samuel spake unto all the house of Israel, saying, If ye do return unto the LORD with all your hearts, then put away the strange gods and Ashtaroth from among you, and prepare your hearts unto the LORD, and serve him only: and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines. Then the children of Israel did put away Baalim and Ashtaroth, and served the LORD only. (1 Samuel 7:3-4 KJV)

That’s the theme throughout the Bible – serving the Lord, only. He created us. He loves us. He provides for us. He has told us what He requires:

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? (Micah 6:8 KJV)

I love that verse. To me it is such a beautiful picture, walking in the presence of our God. Not prideful, not armed with strength, but with humility, submitted myself to His will. Knowing with all my heart that what He has for me is so much greater than this world can imagine.

We do get a taste, though, in fellowship with our brothers and sisters in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)