Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Not The Same Testimony

Shoebox
This is a site I’ve enjoyed in so many different ways. There are several items from Cheryl’s testimony that can be of help to those thinking of becoming a Christian as well as those who have been witnessing for years:
I said, "You are telling me that I can come to God just as I am, smoking, drinking, all the stuff I've done, and He is just going to forgive me?" "Yes." I shook my head. I honestly believed that I had to "clean myself up" and make myself presentable before I could come before a Holy God and ask forgiveness.
Too many think we must change before becoming a Christian.  Nope. Changes will come, naturally and joyfully, but God’s invitation is “Come as you are.” That’s not ‘easy salvation,’ because the gate remains strait and the way is still narrow, just as Jesus said:

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. (Matthew 7:13-14 KJV)

As narrow as that way is, people walk upon it from different starting places and make different journeys. None of our testimonies find us coming to belief in Jesus in the same way. Some have parents serving the Lord before the child was born. Others have parents who have not yet acknowledged any belief in a deity.

Though their testimonies differ, their service is that of every Christian – living their lives to bring glory to God by doing His will. And, at times, we fail Him. We do know that it is necessary to acknowledge those failures, not only when we first come to Him, but later, too:

Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest. (Psalms 51:4 KJV)

David shared his relationship with God, just as Paul did:

I am verily a man which am a Jew, … and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day. And I persecuted this way unto the death, binding and delivering into prisons both men and women. (Acts 22:3-4 KJV)

Each man gave a different testimony, just as Cheryl and I when we give ours. When we first come to Him, and when we acknowledge our failures, we have good company and good words:

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. (Psalms 51:10-12 KJV)

Though each do not share the same testimonies as any other, we do take joy in our salvation and in serving our Lord.  Ask any one of us about it – we’re ready to talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)