Sunday, February 26, 2012

Young to Old

11-stages-womanhood-1840s
O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works. (Psalms 71:17 KJV)

As a toddler, I was taken to church by my grandmother. By the time I started school, my parents were not involved in one. By the time I was ten, we were actively involved in one where they stayed for more than fifty years, where my father, myself, my sister and my husband were baptized and we were married. While there, I certainly did declare His wondrous works, as I do know.

Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come. (Psalms 71:18 KJV)

Oh, yes, I am way past middle-aged, live with uncolored gray hair and I continue to declare to this generation that God is powerful. That is an exhortation to women of my age, and a description of desired behavior:

The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; (Titus 2:3 KJV)

It comes with a job description, too:

That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. (Titus 2:4-5 KJV)

God is for all time – not just when we’re young, not just when we feel we need Him, not just when we’re old, gray and expecting to meet Him. He is our God always, for all time – and beyond.

For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD: thou art my trust from my youth. (Psalms 71:5 KJV)

From my youth, yes – never stopping, though:

Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou art my rock and my fortress. (Psalms 71:3 KJV)

May God continue to provide His word as a blessing for my reading.  May my heart continue to seek Him, allowing Him to be the guiding light for my path. May I always repeat the words of the psalmist:

Let my mouth be filled with thy praise and with thy honour all the day. (Psalms 71:8 KJV)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grammy Blick -

    Thank you for this rich piece.

    Glory Hallelujah!

    Psalm 92:14 - KJV
    They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing;

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)