Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Purpose

temp
Not too long ago I wrote about Daniel:

But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself. (Daniel 1:8 KJV)

The other night I found another example of one who purposed:

Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited me in the night; thou hast tried me, and shalt find nothing; I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress. (Psalms 17:3 KJV)

Of course we can decide what goes into our bodies, and we can certainly decide what comes out of them. These two examples are laid before us.  One kept his purpose a bit better than the other, and there are times we keep our purposefulness, and times when we fail.

Failures should be lessons in renewing our purpose, our reasons for not transgressing, for not defiling ourselves.  Often those failures become festering sores that drip with pain.  We suffer over the pain without seeking to heal the wound.

We forget that the obedience we purposed to is best for us:

And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. (1 Samuel 15:22 KJV)

Samuel spoke those words to Saul, but David learned the lesson:

If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof. Will I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats? Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High: And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me. (Psalms 50:12-15 KJV)

I know – you’ve read that here before, quite recently. But God has something I’ve not fully understood or responded to, so He lays it out before me again and again until I understand.

Years ago there was a rift between me and a family member. Error on both parts caused it to widen and we failed to build a bridge across it until that span would take lots and lots of work. My mother mentioned it, telling me I’d have to make the first move.  I ignored her – I had plenty of experience ignoring motherly advice.  My mother-in-law mentioned it, and it was much easier to ignore her.  Who listens to their mother-in-law anyway? The following Sunday our preacher gave his sermon on forgiving seven times seventy.  OK, I got it.

The breach was not easily healed, but forty years later the bond is unbreakable, as we are both children of our Lord and will spend eternity serving Him.

I don’t believe His message is rebuilding a similar breach, but finding His purpose for this time in my life.  I’m praying for guidance for myself, and for those also needing to purpose in their hearts.  May God grant the answers to this prayer for each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)