Thursday, February 16, 2012

Burdened

burdened
There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin. (Psalms 38:3 KJV)

When I first found this graphic, my shoulders ached for this heavily-laden water carrier. I don’t believe I could carry this load at all. As I read Psalms 8, I thought of this photo.

No – the carrier doesn’t appear ill, and certainly sinful doesn’t come to mind either. Unrested does, though, and burdened, as David continues:

For mine iniquities are gone over mine head: as an heavy burden they are too heavy for me. (Psalms 38:4 KJV)

When we speak of being “in over my head,” we’re repeating David’s view of his situation in this Psalm. He knew the source of his own problems – his own iniquities, his own errors, his own sins.

My wounds stink and are corrupt because of my foolishness. (Psalms 38:5 KJV)

This, and Psalms 70, David wrote “to bring to remembrance.”

I am feeble and sore broken: I have roared by reason of the disquietness of my heart. (Psalms 38:8 KJV)

That verse does bring to remembrance times in my life where I’ve yelled/complained at/to someone – and the reason was within me, not them.  When we’re unsettled, we tend to lash out.  Sometimes at those we love, those closest to us. God knows this:

Lord, all my desire is before thee; and my groaning is not hid from thee. (Psalms 38:9 KJV)

Through all of this, David’s hope remained:

For in thee, O LORD, do I hope: thou wilt hear, O Lord my God. (Psalms 38:15 KJV)

Even when it was evident there were people waiting for him to make a mistake, to take a misstep:

For I said, Hear me, lest otherwise they should rejoice over me: when my foot slippeth, they magnify themselves against me. (Psalms 38:16 KJV)

We know we’re going to make mistakes, too. There are consequences for our errors and there are always people around who will look upon them as a reason to make themselves look better. Hopefully, we’re like David and ready to make changes:

For I will declare mine iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin. (Psalms 38:18 KJV)

That’s when I want to use David’s closing verses as my prayer:

Forsake me not, O LORD: O my God, be not far from me. Make haste to help me, O Lord my salvation. (Psalms 38:21-22 KJV)

This Psalm does remind me of a picture written in the New Testament, too:

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30 KJV)

I did come to Him, find rest and that His burden is light. I pray it may be so for my readers, too.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes amen, thank God for Jesus yoking with me, and carrying the heavy burdens in my life, good devotion today sister, God bless you,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)