Monday, November 14, 2011

For Church Members Only

Non-believers don’t need to read any further – this blog is for church members.  It’s about where they fit in their congregation.

My friend Darla wrote on Facebook:
I read the other day that there are four types of Church members: Mary, Martha and Lazarus: worshipping, working, witnessing members.
I’m a Mary.  I love to hear of God’s word and His work.  Writing about Him, speaking of Him, teaching young ladies about Him, being in His house worshiping Him – those are things that not only fill my life but bring great joy. I enjoy the sermons, the music and my heart is lifted. I’m not a Martha, and I know it, though I'm not proud of it.

I do so admire the Marthas’ energy and their results!  My mother and my Second Daughter are Martha’s progeny. There are many of Martha’s examples I could list – bundles of energy that see to it things get done!  Tables were decorated Sunday for our ‘dinner on the grounds’, a part of Roundup Sunday.  Food set out, tea and coffee made – all accomplished by Martha’s example setters.  It’s not confined to ladies, either.  There was a train, horseback riding, jump houses, all accomplished in the same spirit through men in our church.

I’ve known Lazarus’ examples, too.  We’ve seen miracles, where a near death experience turned out to be a time for joy and celebration. There are so many ways to witness for Christ.  Dying isn’t necessary to be a Lazarus – unless you count dying from the old way of life to live following Christ as a daily example. Martha’s work is an example of witnessing, too. Their service to Christ reminds us of His disciples, spending their lives seeing to others’ spiritual needs.

But, not all of them.  We do have another example of a Christ follower who can still be found in our congregations today.  Ones that the world points to with cries of, “Hypocrite! You’re no better than I am!” and they are right, as in Darla’s last example:
The fourth was Judas: a worldly man in a Christian environment that kissed the cheek of Heaven and went to Hell.
The son of perdition, Christ called him:

While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. (John 17:12 KJV)

Apoleia, ἀπώλεια, in Greek, damnable, eternal ruin or loss. That’s the word for perdition, for Judas.

Unfortunately, it is also the definition applied to some whose names are written in a church registry, but not in the Book of Life.

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. (Revelation 20:12 KJV)

Some tell us this judgment will not take place.  The Bible says it will. It also tells us to what degree we will be judged:

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. (Matthew 12:36 KJV)

The choice has always been ours – follow Christ, or not.  That choice and our subsequent actions will tell others if we are an example of Mary, Martha, Lazarus – or Judas Iscariot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)