Sunday, October 2, 2011

What Would We

Wheelchair
For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. (Romans 7:14-16 KJV)

Part of that verse is almost like a tongue-twister, but the gist of the matter is we know what we should be doing, and want to do, but don’t. By knowing that we should, we understand that the law is good for us – but we continue to break it.

Have you ever had a speeding ticket?  We know the speed limits are set for safety factors.  Our vehicles can go much faster than the set limits, just as there are so many things we can physically do beyond limits set for us.  Break the speed limit without an officer nearby and the worst result is nagging from a ‘back-seat’ driver (or front seat in some cases.)

One person said that speeding tickets are the tax we pay for driving fast, disregarding any built in safety factor for those in his car, and for other drivers on the road.

Going into the doctor last week, traffic was moving close to the speed limit – the right lane right at it, the left maybe five or so miles ahead of it – when a pickup to my right lost the retread on his tire.  Large pieces of rubber flew through both lanes, hitting the vehicles around us. Fortunately he maintained control, as did the others, and the slow down reminded us why speed limit and traffic pattern laws exist.

That, however, was the secondary lesson that came to mind from this morning’s verse.  My original thought was Beloved Husband, who is just now getting up.

BH wants to go to church every Sunday morning, evening and on Wednesdays.  He wants to go with me to my doctor appointments, and when I go to the grocery store.  The effects of Myasthenia Gravis is not allowing him to do so in all cases.  It is not a sinful nature that causes him to miss, but the flesh we occupy is weak, causing him to agree with Paul:  for what I would, that do I not.

The choice is no longer his, as it literally becomes difficult for him to hold his head up.  Muscles cease to respond. Exercise harms instead of helping. Yet, the desire to fellowship with those who love the Lord remains strong.  The desire to worship together, praise and give thanks in God’s house is just as strong.

As wrote the David so many centuries ago, so it is for his namesake today, even when he cannot go:

I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD. (Psalms 122:1 KJV)

I will know in an hour if he will be physically able to do so.  Did you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)