Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Old Paths

OldWays-Goldwater
That quote caught my eye, but I could not recall its source.  Found it in the Washington Post, Goldwater’s acceptance speech for his failed 1964 presidential candidacy. Part of that speech sounds familiar:
Rather than useful jobs in our country, people have been offered bureaucratic "make work," rather than moral leadership, they have been given bread and circuses, spectacles, and, yes, they have even been given scandals. Tonight there is violence in our streets, corruption in our highest offices, aimlessness among our youth, anxiety among our elders and there is a virtual despair among the many who look beyond material success for the inner meaning of their lives. Where examples of morality should be set, the opposite is seen. Small men, seeking great wealth or power, have too often and too long turned even the highest levels of public service into mere personal opportunity.
That paragraph could apply today – except for the “make work,” since so many are unemployed. Almost half a century later there remains, scandals, violence, corruption, aimlessness, anxiety, despair. Doesn’t appear we’ve returned to proven paths.

Goldwater wasn’t the first to call for ‘proven paths.’

Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. (continued below)

Jeremiah was a priest of Israel, gifted also to be their prophet during the reign of King Josiah.

Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. (Jeremiah 1:4-5 KJV)

As so many of those called by the Lord, Jeremiah did not feel up to the job.

Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child. (Jeremiah 1:6 KJV)

God, however, took care of that – and gave Jeremiah his marching orders.

Then the LORD put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth. See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant. (Jeremiah 1:9-10 KJV)

Notice how much had to be done before building and planting.  There was a lot of work ahead for Jeremiah. And very little cooperation:

(continued from above)  But they said, We will not walk therein. (Jeremiah 6:16 KJV)

God sent Jeremiah with specific instructions, which were ignored:

Also I set watchmen over you, saying, Hearken to the sound of the trumpet. But they said, We will not hearken. (Jeremiah 6:17 KJV)

That ignorance had repercussion:

Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto my words, nor to my law, but rejected it. (Jeremiah 6:19 KJV)

The Lord God does not have to bring the evil for it is already here.  Simply lifting His mercy is sufficient to catch our attention. Will we hearken to Him, pay attention and follow?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)