A recent FB post caught my eye – and I wonder how funny these really are:
- Funny how we call God our Father and Jesus our brother, but find it hard to introduce them to our family.
- Funny how long it takes to serve God for an hour, but how quickly a team plays 60 minutes of basketball.
- Funny how hard it is to read a chapter in the Bible, but how easy it is to read 100 pages of a best selling novel.
- Funny how everyone wants to go to heaven provided they do not have to believe, or to think, or to say, or do anything.
- Funny how so many churchgoers sing "Standing on the Promises" but all they do is sit on the premises.
- Funny how people want God to answer their prayers, but refuse to listen to His counsel.
- Funny how people think they are going to Heaven, but don't think there is a Hell.
Do we speak of the time we spend with our Father in prayer?
After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. (Matthew 6:9 KJV)
Or do we just expect they’ll see us in church. Oh, do we go to church?
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, (Hebrews 10:25a KJV)
Do we find Bible verses hard to take, and the pastor one who steps on toes? Well, Peter thought Paul’s were hard, too:
And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. (2 Peter 3:15-16 KJV)
As for that heaven/hell bit – Jesus spoke of its existence, and of some headed there:
Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell? (Matthew 23:33 KJV)
Thanks be to God that He also gave us the answer to that very question:
That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. (John 3:15 KJV)
Revelation 22 describes the Tree of Life, beside the River of Life. Take time to make your arrangements to picnic with me there during eternity.