Saturday, September 10, 2011

Matthew 22

Matthew22
I used to do quite a bit of analysis.  It’s been nice since retirement to just let things flow – especially what I write here.  I don’t have a theme, I write just what I think about in relation to God’s word.  I can do it every day about every phase of our lives because God permeates our lives.  There isn’t a day goes by that I find time to give Him thanks, pray for others and write about what I believe.

But – that said – a bit of the analytical remains in my mind.  For a long time now I’ve put tags (not displayed on the site, but available when I edit) of the Bible chapters used.  Not the specific verse, but the chapter where it is found.  I was looking at that Friday when I had a few free moments and wondered which I had used most.  A few quick moments with Excel and I can tell you that of the 495 chapters I’ve used for verses, Matthew 22 was used 45 times.  Almost ten percent.

John 3 came in second, and I can understand that one.  There are several verses that come to mind immediately.

I had to go back to Matthew 22 and review, for only verses 37-40 stood out strongly, yet would I be using it even close to 45 times?

Verses 1-14 likens the Lord’s kingdom to a wedding where invited guests would not come, so the invitation went out to strangers.  An entire book comes to mind on that scenario!!

Verses 15-22 is the “render unto Caesar” example of what we owe our governments and our God.

Verses 23-33 He answers the question about resurrection – of course, it was put to Him in a “have you stopped beating your wife” context about marriage in heaven.  Asked by people who did not believe in heaven.

Verses 34-40 are my “Aha!!” verses.  While I know I’ve used the other verses along the way, these are of utmost importance to me, and to anyone interested in why I am a Christian.

Verses 41-46 reverse the situation.  Jesus asks the Pharisees a question about David and about the Christ.  I don’t know that I’ve used that final verse, but it, too, speaks volumes:

And no man was able to answer him a word, neither durst any man from that day forth ask him any more questions. (Matthew 22:46 KJV)

I pray that I will never be stuck for an answer, either.  I have publically stated my position regarding religion and my reasons for believing as I do. I know what I believe offends some people, and I’ve been told that what I write does, too.

All I ask is that if someone wishes to convince me I’m wrong, please do so in a positive manner.  Tell my why and how your belief system is better, not by deriding mine, not with sarcasm, not by listing other’s actions or hypocrisy.  Tell me about your beliefs, what is offered as evidence (not necessarily ‘proof’, but a preponderance of evidence), how it relates to your daily life, what foundation is provided.

Then we can dialog and exchange information, both learning along the way.

1 comment:

  1. That is so true. I know a lady who condemns people right in front of them because she thinks they are wrong, but she'll never win them that way. If she was friendly and just lived what God told her to, then one day God might open a door and let them ask her why she believes the things she does. Then she'd have a friend. But as it is, she just drives them away.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)