Monday, September 19, 2011

I Need You

Need
This was a Facebook friend’s status.  I read it about 7:30 am.  Sometime during the night this friend needed someone.  There were a couple of answers posted later on with funny excuses, but I doubt those were answered by the person in mind when it was written.

My Second Great-granddaughter is very good at saying, “I NEED you,” with great emphasis on the ‘need’, when she wants to do something and has been told it requires an adult’s assistance.  Her parents have taught her not to use the stairs at Nanna’s house unless an adult is with her, so the need is evident when she wants to go up and play in the game room, or go outside and ride the electric cart.

Both of the above examples have to do with our recognition that we need someone with us.  God, in His infinite wisdom, provided someone to be with us at all times – His Holy Spirit.

Jesus spoke of Him:

And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; (John 14:16 KJV)

And, He explained the Comforter’s purpose:

Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. (John 14:17-18 KJV)

To the Jew and the Muslim such talk appears to be polytheistic. Three gods – God the father, God the son, God the holy spirit.  But it really is no different than me saying I am a daughter, I am a wife, I am a mother. There are many examples of one doing/being three.

There is an explanation from a Rabbi at http://www.menorah.org/rabbimaxwertheimer.html that helped me understand, too.  While there is nothing like one’s own experience when understanding comes, the examples from other people can be eye opening.  All of our experiences, hopes and fears, though, fall short of reality.

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. (1 Corinthians 2:9 KJV)

The Holy Spirit does reveal much of what God has in mind for us:

But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. (1 Corinthians 2:10 KJV)

Paul’s 2:9 quote comes from the prophet, Isaiah:

For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him. (Isaiah 64:4 KJV)

When Jesus was born, the world was not prepared for what He would do.  The prophecies given were interpreted in light of what mankind wanted.  Even today that occurs.  I don’t believe we have more than a glimmer of what God has prepared for those who love Him.

But I know it will be more than our expectations.  And I know He is always there when needed.

1 comment:

  1. Yes amen, I sure do need the lord, and I am so thankful that he is just a prayer away, he is the one I can always count on, and he is always available to me, I say with humbleness I need thee every hour, every second, of every day. Good post my friend, I so enjoy your scriptures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)