Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Expectations

Great_Expectations_(1917_film)
Whether they are great or not, it’s impossible to live up to other people’s expectations.  I was reminded of that by a television ad for the website:  I am second.  Many of the testimonies there come from people who have tried to be first, to live up to expectations others set for them.  I enjoyed reading what they say about now being second.

I am neither endorsing nor advocating their site.  My personal preference for witnessing is within the congregation of a New Testament church. But, that is what I meant – my personal preference.  I cannot quibble with Jerry Zucha’s testimony when he writes:
Jesus is first because He's made Himself real to me. He gave me what I was searching for and He has been there every moment of my life now. He's so real that though I've never seen him with my eyes, I know who he is and I know what he's done and it's been the greatest joy of my life to have that kind of relationship with Him.
I can relate to Pete Brisco’s testimony there, too:
I think that it would be more accurate to say that in people's minds there are two potential ways to Heaven: work based systems and faith based. The idea is that if I do enough good things, God, whoever they happen to think He is, will be pleased with me and then He'll receive me into His presence. The problem with that mindset is, how do we know how many good things we have to do? … The faith based mind set is that God in His infinite grace gave everything to reach to us. It's a totally different thing. The Bible teaches us clearly, Jesus said, with His very words, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through Me." So all the religions can't possibly be right and the thing that makes Christianity different is that the Father says I'm gonna reach out to you.
The Bible says:

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (Ephesians 2:8 KJV)

Some early Christians felt there were some specific works necessary, but Peter spoke from experience with Jesus and the Holy Spirit:

But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they. (Acts 15:11 KJV)

Read that in context – it is a very important Christian doctrine.  Just as important as:

The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he. (John 4:25-26 KJV)

1 comment:

  1. Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing place to dip into some serious goodness.

    Splashin',
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)