Friday, August 26, 2011

What We Have

Thanksgiving_chapel_interior
My friend Larry posted a quote he found, and I’ve come to appreciate very much:
What if you woke up today with only what you thanked God for yesterday?
When I first read that, I was grateful that I had thanked God for my home, my family, my church, my church family, which I do on a regular basis, but there were some things I would miss from the day before.

I would have food, we give thanks to God for our meals, asking that it be used to nourish us as we do His will.  I have also shown gratitude to Him for our transportation, as well as the freedom of choices we have as to where we can go.  I’m not certain I give thanks daily for our doctors, but I do for the health that we have.  I need to give daily thanks for our doctors, too.

See, when we really consider how we express our gratitude to God, it helps us count those blessings that make our daily lives abundant. We’ve been promised abundance:

… I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. (John 10:10b KJV)

However, can we follow Paul’s exhortation and give thanks for everything:

Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; (Ephesians 5:20 KJV)

All things?  Even spending the day at the hospital with Second Daughter?

OK, how about – thanks there are trained professionals to walk her through the series of tests she has to undertake.  The intake clerk, the first nursing station where they put her on a moving bed (and gave her one of those airy gowns that tie in the back).  Thanks for the quick and easy blood letting by a very nice ‘vampire’, and for all of them who saw to it there were no latex gloves around her (she’s allergic!)  Thanks for the equipment, and those who maintain it.  For the sparkling (literally, you’d have to see them) floors and the cleaning staff who see to that.

And that’s all within the first hour, and there were hours more to go.

I’m still reading notes from a number of people who joined us in prayer for her test today.  Possible side effects were migraine headaches and nausea.  She really prayed that those did not happen – and they did not.  We’re grateful for the prayers, and for this answered prayers.

We’re very grateful for a personal God.  We see Him as David did:

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. (Psalms 139:14 KJV)

I long to spend time with those who also would praise the Lord!!

Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness. (Psalms 107:8-9 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)