Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pollyanna

PollyannaDVD

We didn’t watch the DVD, though the above is a crop from its cover. We watched it on Hallmark Channel last Saturday.  It was a good reminder of how to use ‘pollyanna’ – which often is used as a pejorative.  Watching the story unfold around her “glad game” did bring to mind several verses.  My favorite is:

This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. (Psalms 118:24 KJV)

Another comes from Psalms, too:

I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD. (Psalms 122:1 KJV)

There are 89 instances of ‘glad’ in the King James version.  I had read this one before:

And when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceeding glad: for he was desirous to see him of a long season, because he had heard many things of him; and he hoped to have seen some miracle done by him. (Luke 23:8 KJV)

Is that what we want from Jesus, too?  Having heard so much of Him over our lives, as Herod did, are we looking for miracles?

What He teaches is so much more than that.  He taught us fear:

But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him. (Luke 12:5 KJV)

He also taught us not to fear, because of our importance to God:

Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows. (Matthew 10:31 KJV)

He taught us how to love:

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. (Matthew 22:37-39 KJV)

He taught us how to die:

Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. (John 14:28 KJV)

And he taught us how to live:

That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:15-16 KJV)

Go ahead and call me a pollyanna for believing all of what He has told us.  Go ahead, eternally.

1 comment:

  1. Yeppers, me too, I believe every word, hugs and good post sister.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)