Monday, June 20, 2011

Death, Life, Funerals, Reunions


Recently a Multiply friend wrote of her father-in-law’s funeral.  Of the family – and extended family – gathering in sadness and support.  I’ve written specifically about Baptist Funerals, thinking of mine in particular.

Friend’s F-i-L died the day before his 59th wedding anniversary.  You know we just had our 50th.  Based on family health history, ancestral longevity, actuarial tables and general knowledge, I most likely have somewhere between five and fifteen years remaining in my allotted time.  Excluding accidents and the Lord’s return, of course.

That still gives me more than the Psalmist’s original figure:

The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away. (Psalms 90:10 KJV)

Miss Bobby in our church often requests this song, based on that Psalm’s ending:

Some glad morning when this life is o'er, I'll fly away;
To a home on God's celestial shore, I'll fly away (I'll fly away).
Chorus
I'll fly away, Oh Glory I'll fly away; (in the morning)
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by, I'll fly away (I'll fly away).

When the shadows of this life have gone, I'll fly away;
Like a bird from prison bars has flown, I'll fly away (I'll fly away)

Just a few more weary days and then, I'll fly away; 
To a land where joy shall never end, I'll fly away (I'll fly away)

Please, know that is what my own death means to me.  I believe I will be missed, but I pray I will not be mourned.  To me, there’s a difference based on faith.  Paul understood:

Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. (2 Corinthians 5:6-8 KJV)

Paul heard it second hand from Christ’s disciples, it wasn’t mentioned as their discussion on the Damascus road, but Paul believed it. It is something Jesus promised:

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. (John 14:2-3 KJV)

Whether I get there before or after those I love, I plan on meeting at a specifically described spot:

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. (Revelation 22:2 KJV)

Join me there, when the time is right. It's a simply journey from faithlessness to a faithful life.  There is an  instruction book and plenty of the faithful around.  There’s also an open invitation:

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. (Revelation 22:14 KJV)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Grammy Blick -

    Amen to this that you expressed.

    In particular, I honed in on, "...
    and to be present with the Lord. (2Corinthians 5:6-8 KJV)"

    Praise be to His awesome magnificent name!

    I love that John 14:2, 3, as well. As I child, I recited that...

    Thank you, Grammy Blick, for this precious piece.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)