Thursday, June 30, 2011

Boredom?

Bored-Noia
With many others, I’ve laughed at the nothingness that was Seinfeld’s old sitcom.  Since I don’t watch “reality” shows, I have no idea what his current program is like nor anything about its audience.  A recent participant, however, despises the show and what his appearance there did to his future.

When asked about this situation, Seinfeld responded to The New York Daily News Monday by saying: "When people get upset I enjoy it … Anything that alleviates the withering, blithering boredom of existence I'm in favor of."

How bored are we?  Frankly, I’m not.  The only thing withered in my life is the seven-decades-old body that I’m required to hang on to for a while longer.  How can I be bored with family around?  Those lively jumping beans called great-grands keep the blood moving through this old body, well over and above its speed limit.

Here we are retired, and we still need a calendar to schedule activities – I just found one I need to reschedule the first week in August right after I volunteered for Vacation Bible School.

I regret that Seinfeld’s existence is witheringly, blitheringly boring, but no one is writing his life for him.  He must live it on his own.  Too bad he doesn’t remember:

Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands: Sing forth the honour of his name: make his praise glorious. Say unto God, How terrible art thou in thy works! through the greatness of thy power shall thine enemies submit themselves unto thee. (Psalms 66:1-3 KJV)

Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms. (Psalms 95:2 KJV)

I don’t think one can be bored living just these two verses – and there are many, many more.

Here’s another opportunity not to be bored:

And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. (Deuteronomy 6:7 KJV)

What a blessing would it be if his television shows followed the precepts of this one verse?  Where’s the reality TV for teaching children diligently?

I believe when God really wants us to “get it,” He has “it” repeated:

And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. (Deuteronomy 11:19 KJV)

Same song, second verse.  Didn’t lose anything in the repetition, did it? I don’t believe it lost anything in the translation from Hebrew, either.  When we are sitting at home, walking any where, when we go to bed, when we get up.  Teach the children about the Lord.

Boring?  Not my life, not on your life!

1 comment:

  1. Amen, like you I do not have much time for boredom, doing the work of God takes lots of time and energy, my family lives quite far from us so I am not seeing my greats much, but the church and all its functions keep my life very full, and free from boredom. Hugs and have a very blessed day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)