Friday, February 4, 2011

Jury’s In

Horner[4]

Reading God's word never ceases to amaze me, bring me comfort, stir my curiosity, raise questions, provide answers -- it is my constant companion. I have one I carry to church, several for study and I've had a copy on my PDA's and smartphones for years, a copy always in my purse. I now have one with ten bookmarks that I only pick up to read.

It's not quite a month since I followed Bro. Brad Gilbert's introduction to Professor Grant Horner's Bible Reading System, a slightly different method of Bible reading. You can find the PDF instructions and bookmarks here.

I thoroughly enjoyed immersing myself in God's word, yet it didn't take more than thirty uninterrupted minutes to read the ten chapters each day. I know it will take more by the time I reach Psalm 119, but, hey -- it just will!

It does take a moment for re-orientation as I move from one bookmark to another. At times it's as though the concept of God's sovereignty flows from one to the other, though the times and writers are so different.

I've learned, too, not to stop and study. I have a small pad with the Bible and when a specific thought comes to mind I jot down the verse, maybe a word or two, but I've become disciplined enough to move on and not write a blog entry about it. Frankly, I haven't even gone back to the pad for inspiration on blogging. I'm sticking to my regular items from daily thoughts and searches.

I encourage you to give it a try for a month. Print out the four pages of instructions along with the ten bookmarks. Understand what he has in mind, then read the first ten chapters. If you miss a day, no big loss. The bookmarks are still there, there is no time limit, no milestones missed. I've missed several this month, but always enjoyed returning to pick up where I left off.

At the end of your month's trial, I would be very interested in your thoughts about this method of reading through the Bible. If you don't want to comment publicly, please send me an e-mail -- the address is in my Blogger profile.

Remember:

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. [Romans 10:17 KJV]

Be prepared to have your faith strengthened. He also promised:

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11 KJV)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Grammy Blick -

    Thank you for this post and for sharing with me about Horner's plan.

    I have been doing it for about the same time as you. No regrets - not a one!

    It has been my pleasure to discover that I am stronger in our Lord from this method. I have memorized more scriptures, too.
    I highly recommend Horner's method!
    It is truly a boost and benefit to our inner man and helps considerably in the renewal of our minds.

    Another plus from Horner's method -Our Lord has given me more questions for 7 UPS QUIZUPS.

    Again, thank you, Grammy Blick, for informing me of this Bible reading method.

    Yes, the jury is in - our JUDGE has spoken and indeed HE approves of this practice!

    Praise our Lord - Hallelujah!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)