Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Bible Says


The loss of a young person appears a tragedy. This past week I’ve learned of the passing of a thirteen-year-old boy and a thirty-one-year-old woman. Both from families whose faith in Jesus Christ as their Lord is sustaining them not only through the loss but into the future where they will see this verse fulfilled:

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28 KJV)

We have faith that this to be true because we look upon the Bible as God’s word to mankind. We read in Genesis 1:1 that God created this world and from Revelation 22:20 that Jesus will come again. In between are thousands of years of inspired writings from a multiplicity of authors that attest to God’s interaction with His creation.

Among my favorites is the book of John. It begins much as Genesis:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. (John 1:1-3 KJV)
Because we have faith, we can follow this verse:

Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; (Ephesians 5:20 KJV)My parents died five years apart, to the very month. I miss them still today. I would love to see them, call them, just talk with them and get a bit more information or share something that has happened. Still, I can give thanks every day for so many reasons that involve my parents.

With the two people mentioned in the first graph, I can give thanks, too. I am grateful for knowing the teen who lived with a brain tumor for so many years and did so with a gracious witnessing of love for others along with a faith in Christ that will ripple for years to come. I am grateful for having heard Sarah Hinkle’s music, listening to her family’s testimony and their ministry.

I am grateful that the Bible tells us we will meet again.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. (John 14:3 KJV)

We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. (2 Corinthians 5:8 KJV)

Most of this I have faith in because the Bible – and the lives of people as these – tells me so.

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. (1 John 5:13 KJV)

I really like the way my sister-in-law worded Pascal’s Wager (the emphasis is her own):

“I WOULD RATHER LIVE THINKING THERE IS A GOD AND DIE TO FIND OUT THERE ISN'T THAN TO LIVE THINKING THERE ISN'T A GOD AND DIE TO FIND OUT THERE IS.”

1 comment:

  1. Hello beautiful Grammy <3

    I just prayed for the families that lost their loved ones recently. You picked the perfect Bible verses to quote! I pray you and your family have a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)