Sunday, October 17, 2010

Legitimate Differences


I don’t have permissions to use the original graphic I liked for this post. But I was able to rework, with a bit of time and effort, to show what struck me so deeply in the original. I think this wife’s face carries all the love she holds for her husband as she sees him, safe, after the months of fearing she would lose him. Seeing him in front of her is the answer to her prayers. Seeing the result of so many people working together, with support from around the world.

One of the best quotes of this year comes from the President of Chile, Sebastian Pinera, regarding the rescue of those thirty-three trapped miners:

"When we Chileans set aside our legitimate differences and unify in a grand and noble cause, we are capable of great things."

It has a wider application. “When mankind sets aside our legitimate differences and unifies in a grand and noble cause, we are capable of great things.”

One of the first things we must realize is that among our friends, among our enemies, among even our family, there are legitimate differences. Some are simply differences of perspective. Others are centuries-old hurts inflicted by others – and they cannot be changed by anything we do now.

Too often we judge people today by events that took place not only a generation ago, but centuries ago by tribes or nations that no longer exist, nor do their ideals. Looking beyond them requires unification to a common purpose.

At present, there is no common purpose and unification for any reason is achieved only in a microcosm here or there.

Our church is within a forty-day period of fasting and prayer. Each one added to a list of specific prayers for participants and others to use, should they so desire. I have two items on the list for two ladies I hold very dear. I am very appreciative of those who are joining in this period of prayer, and I will hold their requests in my prayers, too.

Why? My usual answer – the Bible tells me to. Jesus’ disciples asked Him why they could not accomplish one healing that He was able to achieve.

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting. (Matthew 17:20-21 KJV)

Thus, we unite in both prayer and fasting. Not nearly as many as those around the world who united in prayer for the miners.

Be aware of legitimate differences, but do not allow those differences (nor the people who cling to them) to separate mankind from achieving grand and noble achievements. Look, instead, for reasons to unite.

This, too, my Bible tells me to do.

Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you. (2 Corinthians 13:11 KJV)

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes amen, lots of hugs for your day, oh I got to attend my church today, and going back this evening too, oh yeah God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grammy -

    That photo speaks volumes. Words cannot express. Thank you.

    I wrote a recent piece on my blog about the mine rescue. The topic is "THE SAVING GRACE OF GOD IN THE MINE."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)