Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Second Mile


Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. [Matthew 5:38-41 KJV]

When I wrote “In The Way” and searched for a graphic for the rich young ruler, one link took me to Journeys With The Messiah. The photo that struck me – and has stayed with me requiring a posting of its own, is “The Second Mile.”

Each of the graphics on this site are thought provoking, bringing the Messiah into our century. Placing the Messiah into every day situations, just as He lived them in Israel. But this one!! Based on the Roman law allowing the compelling of one to carry a load for Romans, how could we be expected to substitute a Nazi soldier for a Roman soldier. I was brought back to “why not?”

The entire thought behind “whosoever” is anyone and everyone. We are not to pick and choose to whom we walk and talk with, but we are to witness to those on our journey. Would Christ have witnessed to a Nazi soldier? Why not – He witnessed to Roman soldiers. Would Christ have witnessed to a Jihadist terrorist? Again, why not? Was not Saul’s goal to destroy those who believed in Christ?

Do we confine our witness to those we would invite into our church, into our homes?

I have struggled with this since I saw “The Second Mile.” I want to be able to walk with my Lord and follow His example. I believe He would have given his cloke, and that He would have walked that second mile, speaking to His follow traveler of God’s love.

Yet I draw back at the thought of doing so. Not just from the thought of those long ago Nazi soldiers, but of people today. People whose thoughts are not only far from God’s love, but whose actions oppose God’s laws and the people who love Him. Is it because I fear them? He tells me not to.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. [Matthew 10:28 KJV]

There are things worse than dying -- eternal separation from God being the absolute worst. And, I know people who will spend eternity in that separation. I know, I know – the choice was theirs to make and they’ve made it, openly proclaiming their choice to ignore God and His message. Denying His existence, rejecting His love, unbelieving of the consequences.

Can we walk that second mile with them? Over and over again, praying that their attention will be focused? Can we do it for someone as hated as a Nazi soldier? Can we do it for an estranged family member? Can we walk with them and speak of Him?

Do we really believe that He walks with us as we do so?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)