Saturday, July 24, 2010

Salt


So far my doctor hasn’t limited salt. Since it has a tendency impact blood pressure, we know it is helpful to place limits on intake, but we also know it enhances flavor, so there’s a fine balance to achieve. The right amount is necessary for overall health, too. It would not be good to cut salt completely.

Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. (Matthew 5:13 KJV)

We’ve grown up with the term “good for nothing.” How many could point that phrase back to the Bible. It’s usually applied to a person whose character is questionable, from whom little or nothing is expected. Matthew’s verse is a very good picture of someone so defined.

What does it take to reach the point where an individual is “good for nothing?” What would the analogy be with a person – what is the “savour?” Encarta defines savor as:

1. enjoy something unhurriedly: to enjoy something with unhurried appreciation
2. relish something: to enjoy the taste or smell of something
3. show traces: to show traces of something

Christ was describing His followers as being the salt of the earth, so when they’ve lost their joy of their salvation, lost their taste for the Christian life, or no longer show traces of Christ in their life, they are good for nothing.

It would fill me with sadness to know that anyone looked into my life and could not see the joy my salvation continually brings me. For anyone to think that I had lost my taste for living a Christian life. I pray that much more than traces of Christ can be seen in my actions, my words, even my daily routine.

I am more than ready to discuss religion (mine or theirs) with anyone. I’ve been told that I listen as well as I share. I do so with prayer that others will listen as well, and leave it in God’s hands to speak to their hearts about His plan in their lives. His plan for my life is between us in our conversations.

The value of salt in our lives was an excellent example for Christ to use. It was just as essential for life then as it is now – just as God is as essential now as ever in the life of mankind. Even those who do not accept Him seek ways to explain why He doesn’t exist, or discredit those who believe in Him. Yet He remains as necessary to life as salt.

As my age progresses through this seventh decade, my doctor may define my salt intake. When he does, I shall miss enjoying the taste. And, give thanks that my Lord and Savior will provide my continued unhurried joy, my relishing of His word and allow His life to show traces in my life that I might serve as the salt of the earth for people to savor Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)