Monday, July 5, 2010

Ooops!

I neglected my Bible reading. And, it showed. Simple enough, I received the material for my Sunday School lesson Friday afternoon. I spent some time on it Saturday, preparing worksheets for the girls and getting my thoughts in order.

There were four specific references. Three of them I opened my Bible and read to be certain I understood the application. Not a problem. I could tell that the fourth reference had to do with Christ washing His disciples feet. I knew that story – from childhood I could apply the lesson of a servant. I remembered Peter saying that there was no way Christ was going to wash his feet. He looked upon Jesus as his savior, not his servant. I knew Christ’s answer, too. Peter didn’t understand now, but if he didn’t allow Christ to wash his feet, he was not obedient. Peter displayed his obedience.

Since our lesson contained serving God through His people, the application was apparent, so I moved on to the next part of the lesson.

Foolish me.

There was a typo in the lesson plan. Instead of pointing to John 13:4-16, the scripture written in the lesson was John 12:4-16. It was my turn to read scripture when we reached that point. I am so glad I was the one reading aloud. Instead of Jesus preparing to wash the disciples feet, I’m in Bethany, Lazarus’ home, and Mary has anointed Jesus feet with spikenard and Judas is complaining.

Ooops! All because I made certain assumptions regarding my knowledge and God’s word. I didn’t know I was a chapter off, but would have known had I done all of the Bible reading listed for the lesson.

I don’t know about the three other teachers, yet. I shall ask them, of course, and we will laugh a bit. But it is a good reminder that making assumptions is only a starting point. They are not facts until proven.

When you read about many scientific theories, global warming, evolution, the universe, please keep that in mind. Often theories and assumptions are stated as accepted facts, and they are not, even when larger concepts based on smaller, provable facts. Be certain to read the ‘may,’ ‘might,’ ‘could,’ ‘should,’ etc. Be as skeptical about those assumptions as unbelievers are about what we see as biblical truths.

God has asked us to do diligence.

For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end: [Hebrews 6:10-11 KJV]

He has, through Paul, asked us to study.

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. [2 Timothy 2:15 KJV]

We are told to search for truth.

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. [Acts 17:11 KJV]

I did not do so. I will do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)