Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mine Eyes

And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: [Matthew 18:9a KJV]

Today, I’m doing just that. Well, not the whole eye, and I’m not going to do it myself. I’m paying a very nice lady doctor to remove a portion of it. And replace that portion with a lens that will work well for many years to come.

My eyes have been measured, new lens ordered. This morning a slit will be made in my eye, old lens removed, an intraocular one inserted and pray there are no complications. This isn’t a solution for all my eyesight problems, but should resolve a few issues.

I should be able to focus in a distance. That comes in so handy in reading signs! And my television should clear up quite a bit. Right now all objects have shadows and/or halos, since I’m seeing double. Our pastor’s single microphone appears dual to me.

Tuesday, while picking up medicine at the pharmacy, a lady came weaving her basket toward me. Odd. Until she was within about ten feet and I recognized my daughter. The ability to recognize at a distance is what I want returned. I want to drive again and read street signs. I also want to type one of my Bible readings without my eyes beginning to water.

Hopefully in the next month, after the second surgery, glasses will be required only for reading. That will be a change, since I’ve worn them since I was fourteen. It will be strange to be taking them off and on just to read. I’ll probably write about it when it happens.

Another thing I’m looking forward to is Bible reading without holding the book so close it’s awkward just to read clearly. Same for hymnals. I’m used to holding them out with my head up and bringing out those joyful noises in worship. Some are close to being on key, I think.

I don’t want to fall into this category:

Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not? and do ye not remember? [Mark 8:18 KJV]

Rather, let me hear, as Solomon heard:

Now mine eyes shall be open, and mine ears attent unto the prayer that is made in this place. [2 Chronicles 7:15 KJV]

Let me say with the Psalmist:

Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. [Psalms 119:18 KJV]

For I do thank God that I can see the wonders the Lord has provided to us. I just pray I see them a bit better in the next few weeks.

Finally, I repeat Simeon’s words, though mine eyes have not seen the babe. I have had my sight for a long, long time, enjoying God’s world and searching through His word. I truly can say:

For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, [Luke 2:30 KJV]


Cataract Surgery (Wiki Commons)

2 comments:

  1. You will be in my prayers as well as the people who do your sugery. May the Good Lord guide their hands and may your eye site be better than ever! *hugs Grammy*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are recuperating well. My grandmother had both eyes done and she did well afterwards. I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)