Sunday, July 25, 2010

House of the Lord

Because of the house of the LORD our God I will seek thy good. (Psalms 122:9 KJV )

That’s one of two hundred and thirteen verses that mention the “house of the Lord.” My favorite is the verse that opens this Psalm:

I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD. (Psalms 122:1 KJV)

My Father’s house is a comfortable place for me. I know He expects me to be there and always has something for me when I come. But verse nine holds something for you, too, when I follow it.

He expects that by my attending to Him, I will seek thy good. Because I go to His house and heed His words, I will look for good – in you and for you. It is something He expects from me.

You are the second most important person in my life. He said so.

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. (Matthew 22:37-39 KJV)

I’ve said before – part of our problem is that we do not love ourselves. We do not accept that we are lovable, though we’ve been told over and over in His word that He loved us first, created us, He gave Himself for us. Because of this, I spend time in the house of the Lord, learning to love those with whom I share His world.

Some do not appear lovable physically. Some do not appear lovable by their actions. Some deride His name, ignore His words and live without His guidance in their lives. Many of these people would tell me they are quite content, as happy as they can be without Him and would I please stop talking about it.

I cannot. There are so many things to say! As John wrote, the earth could not hold all the books that could be written.

I shall go to the house of the Lord this Sunday morning to hear a family that has given three generations to sing for the elderly. To hear our pastor, whose father and son also provided three generations of preachers of His word. And, I will be grateful that someone kept on and on and on saying to me:

Let us go into the house of the LORD. (Psalms 122:1b KJV)

The photo is of the Mennonite church built by my husband's great-grandfather in Oakland, Missouri in the 1880's

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)