Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother and Child

Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. (Psalms 127:3 KJV)

There are some today who do not believe that verse, but I do. As Brownies we learned “Bairns are a blessing.” They truly are.

I am counted with mothers this coming Sunday because of three blessings. During the years of their births, I knew several young women who were not so blessed. I began to feel guilt because I not only had beautiful babies (OK, so maybe the first few hours they weren’t the most beautiful in the world, within a day they were) but I had them without medical complications or difficult labor. I was not only blessed by having them, I was blessed while having them.

In some ways, they made up for that ease as they got older. They were normal. They grew up to raise families of their own. The girls will be given attention and due tomorrow by their own children as will my son’s wife, too. Each of the couples will attend services that will include recognition of mothers.

Some of my friends were unable to conceive. I think of women in the Bible who prayed and waited. Sarah, Rachel, Hannah among them. Each prayed, but for years they could not receive the blessings of motherhood. Sarah eventually had one; Rachel two; Hannah was blessed with both sons and daughters.

Christ used children as He explained the way to heaven.

And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me. (Matthew 18:5 KJV)

With that in mind, think of the reverse side of that coin.

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. (Matthew 18:6 KJV)

As mothers we have a tremendous responsibility to bring the word of God to our children and others. We must not hinder their belief in the Lord. I think He was serious about the millstone! To do so, we must be able to live up to what we teach the children.

We will fail, in so many ways. We will be forgiven, by our Lord and by our children. We’ll remember how our mothers raised us. The heartaches we brought to her and the blessings she gave in return, becoming our example. We follow her, even as she followed our Lord.

Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; (Ephesians 5:1 KJV)

My Mom has been with our Lord for several years, as are many of my friend’s mothers. We’ll be wearing the white rose tomorrow in remembrance, as our own children wear the red. We’ll think of our mothers and we will miss them, wanting still to give them honor and thinking of the one verse we now understand.

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. (3 John 1:4 KJV)


1 comment:

  1. I wanted to make sure I stopped by to wish you a Happy mother's Day Grammy. I'm so blessed that you're in my life. Your motherly presense has blessed my heart so much already. Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)