Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Content

I have thought for some time that I qualified for Titus 2:3. I have a bit of work to do on the holiness part, but I’m not alone – Christ is there to help me. I research and check to be certain I do not falsely accuse. Definitely not given to much wine, and I teach junior high girls that God loves them enough to have sent them His son for their salvation. You can’t get much better than that!

It’s the “aged” part that is giving me fits right now. As so often happens with age, portions of our anatomy either change or fail. Right now I’m facing a change in the growth of cataracts and my eyesight is failing. As much reading and writing as I do, this gives me qualms.

I know, I know. There’s nothing to it. Thousands upon thousands of such surgeries are done without incident. And, I know that God already knows how it will turn out and He’s not worried at all.

My uncle lost his eyesight in his 30’s. He had a gasoline service station (hey, this was more than half a century ago – they really sold service as well as gasoline.) There was a fire and his eyes were damaged. The family bought out his siblings and returned to his parent’s farm. For the next thirty years they ran a dairy. I watched him place cows in the stalls, attach and detach milking machines. I read articles about him, journalists enjoyed watching him work, too. I do not believe I could adjust as well myself.

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. [Philippians 4:11 KJV]

That, I can do. God has been merciful to me and I’ve come to understand that the states I am in do not last long, why not be content in them? Besides, just two verses down is the answer to all of our questions.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. [Philippians 4:13 KJV]

Does that mean accepting without questions? Not for me. I’m asking questions of those who have had the same operation. Who did their surgery? What were the results? Were there any complications? What complications might be expected? I do hope you know those questions, too, to ask about any medical procedure.

Similar questions should apply when asking about religions. Do not blindly follow because the speaker’s doctrine sounds good. There are excellent orators around and they gather many followers. Remain skeptical as Christ suggests, not all leaders are correct.

Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch. [Matthew 15:14 KJV]

Apply that to what I write, too. Don’t agree with me, read the scriptures and see if I’m using them correctly. Study the references for validity as well as appropriateness. Check the surrounding verses to be certain they are used in context. That would be a wonderful response – if it helps anyone open their Bible for study.

Oh, yes – prayer during Bible study is great, too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)