Saturday, March 13, 2010

Speaking of God

The Subject (TS) says she believes in God. In youth, TS joined a church, but she has not attended in at least twenty years that I have been witness to. TS has requested prayer for specific people, but I have never been in her presence as she prayed. TS is kind and helpful to people in financial need, but I’ve never heard her speak of God.

It reminds me of how well rounded a Christian needs to be.

Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. (James 2:18 KJV)

When we’re speaking of God, do our words match our actions? When we are with fellow Christians and speak of Him, do our words differ from when we are among friends and co-workers? Are we consistent when speaking of God?

Do we confess Him before men, explaining what He means in our lives?

Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 10:32 KJV)

If not, there are consequences.

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 10:33 KJV)

I recently came across an item attributed to an inscription on a grave at a church in Lubeck, Germany. I have not confirmed the source, but this speaks to me, and gives me concern about speaking of God and our actions.

Thus Speaketh Christ Our Lord to us:
You call me Master, and obey me not;
You call me Light, and see me not;
You call me Way, and walk me not;
You call me Wise, and follow me not;
You call me Fair, and love me not;
You call me Rich, and ask me not;
You call me Eternal, and seek me not;
You call me Gracious, and trust me not;
You call me Noble, and serve me not;
You call me Mighty, and honor me not;
You call me Just, and fear me not;
If I condemn you, blame me not.

Jesus’ actual words are:

Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. (John 14:23-24 KJV)


1 comment:

  1. Love this. It speaks to me and makes me think. We all need a little shaking up at times. We get stale in our thinking and actions. Keep up the good work. Shirley Shields

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)