Thursday, March 18, 2010

Every. Single. Day.

A reader wrote that their beliefs do not coincide with mine. They added: “Still, I often find inspiration in the way you tie faith to daily life. Every. Single. Day.”

So I thought I’d give a bit of insight as to how I could post day after day after day.

I do not get out of bed uplifted and ready to face challenges. As this morning, I’m usually poked in the ribs from a sound sleep, not by Beloved Husband, but by a hungry cat. I chose to have pets and I take that responsibility seriously. I’ve been told I spoil them (usually that’s said by one of the children I did NOT spoil.) Feeding them first thing out of bed is part of that responsibility.

Then it’s time to sit down with my Bible. When I’m preparing Sunday School lessons, I use my Ryrie Study Bible simply because it’s my favorite, but first thing in the morning I use e-Sword on my PC. It is so easily searchable, has commentaries, multiple translations for comparison and other languages for postings to friends across the globe. It’s copy/paste utility keeps me from making typos within the scriptures. I alone am responsible for typos elsewhere. If I am away from printed page or laptop, I have a soft copy on my smart phone.

I believe scripture to be as relevant for us today as it was when Jesus quoted to refute temptation. It is here, too, that one is described as the tempter, the devil, and named as Satan (Matthew 4:1-11). He is mentioned again in Revelation.

And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. (Revelation 12:9 KJV)

There are days where I have been one of the deceived, and it has brought me low. Doesn’t matter whether I have actively sinned or have done so through neglect, the error is mine and must be removed.

For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. (Psalms 86:5 KJV)

I acknowledge Him as my Lord and my God and ask for His guidance.

For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone. Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore. (Psalms 86:10-12 KJV)

I want my faith to continually grow, not be stifled nor stunted.

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:17 KJV)

Spending time with the word of God provides that growth. It is to be studied.

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15 KJV)

Again, the Bereans are my example.

… they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. (Acts 17:11 KJV)

Thus I start each day fulfilling responsibilities I have chosen to assume, and take God with me wherever I go. Try it.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)