Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Chastened

My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction: For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth. (Proverbs 3:11-12 KJV)

That was not the chastening David wrote of - twice.

O LORD, rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure. (Psalms 6:1 KJV)

O LORD, rebuke me not in thy wrath: neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure. (Psalms 38:1 KJV)

That’s when I disliked discipline the most, when I knew it was coming in anger. No, not the discipline I received as a child, the one I gave to my child.

Mankind recognizes the swift retribution done in anger. And we fear it. At least I did. My goal was to re-enforce a known direction, but my anger would override the lesson. That would be remembered long after the lesson was delivered.

It is a blessing for us to know that the Lord is just and has told us He will chastise.

Thou shalt also consider in thine heart, that, as a man chasteneth his son, so the LORD thy God chasteneth thee. (Deuteronomy 8:5 KJV)

There’s a traditional Dutch Thanksgiving hymn that I believe should be sung much more often – “We Gather Together.”

"We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing
He chastens and hastens His will to make known;
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing:
Sing praises to His name. He forgets not His own."

We need to understand that there are times when we, as His children, need to be chastened. He spoke of such to the church of Laodicians:

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. (Revelation 3:19 KJV)

Remember what He said about that church? Could it be said of us?

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. (Revelation 3:15 KJV)

I would imagine so. Today so many of us are simply lukewarm toward religion. Neither hot nor cold, simply comfortable in our own lives, unwilling to enter heated discussions.

Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: (Revelation 3:17 KJV)

His word consistently speaks to us.

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. (Revelation 3:22 KJV)

1 comment:

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)