Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Boxed Scripture

My Mother selected a verse each day from this little box. The verses were ERV (Easy To Read Version). Luke 1:37 is printed in the lid. But it's not the one I'm used to -- nor to me does it mean the same thing. The lid reads:

No word from God shall be void of power - Luke 1:37 (erv)

My Bible reads:

For with God nothing shall be impossible. (Luke 1:37 KJV)

There’s a difference. The American Standard Version and the Revised Version read as the erv. This is a specific example from my life why the King James Version remains my Bible. It is a bone of contention among some Christians today, even to the point of open argument. I would appreciate the understanding of why it is important to me.

Some versions openly state that they’ve removed the archaic “thee” and “thou” entries, making it more easily understood. The translators of the King James Version used these pronouns even though they were not used in the English of 1611. “Thee” is singular, “ye” plural. Neither 1611 nor 2011 (I anticipate) English differentiates between singular and plural. Many other languages provide for showing the difference. The closest we come (I think) is the Southern expression we love so well, “y’all” which is absolutely plural!

Please, don’t get me wrong. I won’t be reading out of the 1611 version. While it is understandable, there’s too much translation from the page through my eye and brain. I’ll stick with the 1769 version moving ‘u’ to ‘v’ in ‘haue’ and ‘Pavl’ as examples. So, it is obvious that I opt for more easily read spellings.

Why would I accept one revision over another here, and not accept modern revisions? Well, that goes to the heart of believing God’s word. There are histories given, descriptions written and promises made that sound one way in the King James Version, and completely different in revised versions. I will leave it to Bible scholars to explain in depth as to why.

As much or more than the scholarly explanations I’ve studied, I’d rather remain with that which I know, have memorized and have used to grow my relationship with Christ. It is through reading God’s word that my life has been enriched and I have sought what is His will for me.

The box, on the other hand, evokes childhood memories of my Mom’s concern for our eternal life. With this small box, she increased our appetite for His word. My sister and I could use the little plastic tool to pick up a verse, open it and read it before meals. The box is well over fifty years old, but the Lord it speaks of is much older.

It speaks of David’s Lord and His word.

The Lord gave the word: great was the company of those that published it. (Psalms 68:11 KJV)

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. (Psalms 119:11 KJV)

And, as David prayed, let God be magnified.

Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: and let such as love thy salvation say continually, Let God be magnified. (Psalms 70:4 KJV)

I continue to read His word daily.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. My issue is in having the preserved pure and perfect Word of God. I trust every word is the word God has preserved there...so if I have the perfect Word for English speaking people (for the last 400 years), why would I go to another less perfect or less pure translation? There can not be two perfectly pure books that disagree with each other.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)