Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Happy?

I first read this phrase in a fellow IFB KJV Directory blog. I’ve found it through Google in over 5,000 places on the web, yet have not discovered it’s source.

"Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket - keep it in your own."


A truism, no doubt. We do control our own happiness. But I’m going to suggest that we not keep it in our own pockets. Instead, I suggest we turn it, along with everything else, to Jesus Christ.

He keeps His word, as the Psalmist confesses:

All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies. (Psalms 25:10 KJV)

Aaron and his sons were to say to Israel:

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: (Numbers 6:24 KJV)

Jesus spoke specifically about keeping those who come to Him.

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day. (John 6:37-40 KJV)

Nothing I have ever given Him has been lost. Paul knew very well that He was able to keep what Paul gave Him.

For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. (2 Timothy 1:12 KJV)

Paul also knew:

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. (Philippians 1:21 KJV)

The happiness comes when we know our treasures are safe – and we know where they are.

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. (Matthew 6:19-21 KJV)

Now, I must admit to lots of happiness here. Family. That is the source of a great deal of happiness and I am so very grateful to God that the majority of my immediate family have chosen Jesus Christ’s promises as theirs. Friends. The same is true.

Yet some have not, and I pray that they, too, will place their happiness, and their lives into the hands of He who created all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)