Sunday, December 13, 2009

Dreaming

I had a dread last night. Yep that was a typo, but it fit. There was a large building, filled with working people. As in all dreams, there are odd occurrences.

I was with people I knew. In some dreams there are people you recognize, even if you don’t know them in reality. In this dream, none of those around me were familiar. We were waiting. Invaders were coming and we would be required to make a choice. Yet we all knew there were no choices, we were expected to submit to their demands, or else.

I picked up a bright yellow pen and tried to convince people around me that we should not submit; that we needed to retain our freedom. The pen was a symbol that our thoughts, our ideals, were mightier than perceived violence. Without the ability to express ourselves, we were truly slaves.

No one around me was moved by my words. I continued, saying how we could no longer worship God. There was but a small reaction, mostly defeatism. I started down a long corridor, passing closed and open doors, not speaking but singing.

“Count Your Blessings,” it seemed somehow appropriate, people began responding, following, and we moved through the corridors. Some did not follow, but most did, as the refrain was picked up and chorused again and again.

Awakened, the refrain continued. “Count your many blessings, name them one by one … Count your many blessings, see what God hath done.”

Unlike Joseph or Daniel, I do not expect to find meaningful messages within dreams. This one, though, brings out something I should do more often, for I have been blessed abundantly.

First, I serve the God that so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 KJV)

Second, I am part of a family that does heed His word. Generations, back and forward, served the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. (Psalms 100:2 KJV)

Third, I am part of a congregation Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. (Hebrews 10:25 KJV)

The blessings continue and I could count for a very long time. Among them is the freedom to read God’s word openly in the company of others and discuss the doctrines it holds. That freedom is lacking in many countries.

There are woes, as well as blessings. The Bible tells us: For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. (Hebrews 10:30 KJV)

That confirmation of earlier scripture comes after a verse that speaks of punishment, defining the transgression:

Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? (Hebrews 10:29 KJV)

Unlike dreams, we are given answers.

1 comment:

  1. You were truly blessed to have a Godly family. My father was but he was the only one. When he died my mom and siblings acted as if he never lived--they acted as if they had just put up with his opinions about God. My husband and I cut off from them and are starting over. That way one day one of our great great grand children can say that they have only known what it was like to be in a Godly family. It is true that we all need to count our blessings :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)