Friday, November 6, 2009

Praise to the Lord

“Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of Creation.”

Can you hear the music swell?

“Oh, my soul praise Him, for He is thy Help and Salvation.”

Can you feel the lift in your soul?

I woke up praising God with this song in my heart and so wanted to sing it. I’m still coughing and croaking, though, so sound comes out awful. But in my mind and my heart, it’s joyous, full and there’s even a backup chorus!!

Even when the Psalmist felt most abandoned, and cried in desperation:

My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring? O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent. (Psalms 22:1-2 KJV)

After verses that list his problems, he returns to God in praise:

I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee. Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel. (Psalms 22:22-23 KJV)

He recognizes that God remains in control no matter what besets us:

All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee. For the kingdom is the LORD'S: and he is the governor among the nations. (Psalms 22:27-28 KJV)

In another Psalm he is afflicted and overwhelmed, as much we are today, yet in the midst of crying out, he praises God:

This shall be written for the generation to come: and the people which shall be created shall praise the LORD. (Psalms 102:18 KJV)

I am grateful, and praise God for the preservation of his word to a shepherd king so very long ago. I join with David and vast generations in between in lifting up our voices to ring through generations to come:

Praise ye the LORD. I will praise the LORD with my whole heart, in the assembly of the upright, and in the congregation. The works of the LORD are great, sought out of all them that have pleasure therein. His work is honourable and glorious: and his righteousness endureth for ever. He hath made his wonderful works to be remembered: the LORD is gracious and full of compassion. He hath given meat unto them that fear him: he will ever be mindful of his covenant. He hath shewed his people the power of his works, that he may give them the heritage of the heathen. The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure. They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness. He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever. (Psalms 111:1-10 KJV)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. Your reply to my Keeper of the Home issue/post was so right on. I couldn't agree more.

    ~Mrs. M

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)