Monday, November 23, 2009

It's A Miracle

Did you ever think about how many books of the Bible do not include miracles? How many record actions of ordinary people doing God’s will?

I don’t count creation as a miracle. Instead, it is a clear display of God’s power. The flood, too. Except for Isaac’s birth, Genesis remains a history. Exodus contains a long list of miracles. Judges, not so much.

Ruth contains none at all. Not until we get to Elijah and Elisha do we get an influx of miracles. Daniel brings us the fiery furnace and the lion’s den, but with the exception of prophecy fulfilled, we don’t see more until Jesus’ birth.

His ministry, and His disciples’, bring forth the largest concentration of miracles in the Bible.

But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me. (John 5:36 KJV)

They asked, explained:

Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me. (John 10:24-25 KJV)

He laid before them simple logic:

If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him. (John 10:37-38 KJV)

Still, people did not, and do not believe. They are looking for that miracle, that one sign that will convince them that God exists and Jesus’ message is truth.

For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; (1 Corinthians 1:22-23 KJV)

Which are we seeking as proof? Would it be through a sign from God, or through the logic of wisdom that we would hear Him?

Nothing is necessary but faith.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (Ephesians 2:8 KJV)

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. (Hebrews 11:6 KJV)

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:17 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)