Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Husband


Last night’s Ladies Meeting was as expected. Marvelous tasty recipes, hearty fellowship with some we had not seen in a while (a round of sickness has kept some of us at home) and the lesson as personal and timely as God’s word.

It started with a chapter that contains my description. But instead of Titus 2:2, she began with:

That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, (Titus 2:4 KJV)

With the center as the topic – love their husbands.

Simple, right? We selected these husbands, stood before God and congregation and promised:

“I, -----------, take thee ------------, to be my lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; 'til death us do part.”

Just reading those words brings back memories of staring into his eyes, willing my commitment be made known to him. I love. I cherish.

Yet, I have thrown harsh words. I have pushed tender buttons. We both have, though that is not our intent. So a revisit to God’s word makes a great refresher course. Why did I make such a commitment to God before men in the first place? Because I love him. God’s word tells me about love.

Love suffereth long, and is kind;
love envieth not;
love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
doth not behave itself unseemly,
seeketh not its own,
is not provoked,
taketh not account of evil;
rejoiceth not in unrighteousness, but rejoiceth with the truth;
beareth all things,
believeth all things,
hopeth all things,
endureth all things.
Love never faileth:
(1 Corinthians 13:4-8a ASV)

That’s how I’ve committed to be toward my husband. There have been times I have failed. That is my fault, not his. He has responsibilities, but mine are my own, not dependent on him fulfilling his.

Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband. (Ephesians 5:33 KJV)

“But, he …” is not a defense, nor a justification for not completing a promise. Instead, I’ve determined to pay attention to nearby verses that will help me fulfill my promise:

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God. (Ephesians 5:19-21 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)