Monday, October 26, 2009

Loss and Hope

One of her children, Mary, died when she was but a day old in 1908. In 1961, a second daughter succumbed to cancer. In the spring of her 99th year a second child was diagnosed with cancer. I remember her telling the family “God did not intend for parents to outlive their children. I’m tired.” Within a week, she was gone,

I remembered that this weekend when I heard about two boys. One was five years old, the other five months. Both died while on a list awaiting heart transplants. I grieve for their families.

We can sympathize, but until we’ve lost a child, we cannot understand what their parents face.

Christ came to us as a child. Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. (Matthew 1:18 KJV)

Christ looked upon children with favor and as examples. And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me. But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. (Matthew 18:5-6 KJV)

Christ as a child set examples for us. And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions. And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers. (Luke 2:46-47 KJV)

To parents – though we recognize their growth and achievements – they are always our children. During her last hospital stay, my father and I visited my grandmother. She took his hand, patted it and introduced my 48-year old father to the nurse, “And this is my baby, my youngest son.”

As one father, who came to Christ for his child’s life, I too cry out. And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. (Mark 9:24 KJV)

Knowing, as did that father, Jesus speaks truth. Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. (Mark 9:23 KJV)

With the deepest gratitude to our Lord and savior, with John I can truly say, I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. (3 John 1:4 KJV)

There was One who prayed for a cup to pass, but accepted His Father’s will: And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. (Matthew 26:39 KJV)

May these families find comfort through the One who provided a Comforter for all: But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. (Matthew 9:22a KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)