Monday, July 28, 2008

Planning

Sunday School was a big surprise, and a great deal of fun. There were only four girls – and that was combining our Junior and Senior High Girls! None of my Juniors were there. Some were with the Mexico mission group, some were on vacation, and I think a couple just didn’t come.

But the four Senior High Girls were interested and participated in the word match and the story. There are several unique things about the book of Esther, compared with other Bible books.

First, God is not mentioned in the book. There is no ‘miracle’ deliverance of His people. Well, not as humans look for miracles. From my perspective the entire “for such a time as this” concept is God’s miracle.

I would have expected God to be mentioned at least in verses 4:14 and 4:16. I see Esther and Mordecai’s faith expressed so deeply, especially in those two verses. We’re told He has plans for our lives. We’re told if we do not accomplish those plans, they will be accomplished from another place. We’re told to gather together, fast and pray – but not to whom.

Our own lives often take Him for granted.

How often do we look to the meshing of events in our lives and thank God for His planning? In my own, not enough. And, over the years, I know I have not responded to some of His planning. That is my loss, and I pray never a loss to those whom I should have witnessed. I pray now that opportunities I missed were covered by another, for I hesitate to stand before His throne and learn specifics of my neglect.

Oh, I never fear for my salvation, for I am saved by His grace: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (Ephesians 2:8 KJV)

And He will not remove it: For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39 KJV)

But I also believe He gave us a task, expects results and judges our failure to act: Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman: If when he seeth the sword come upon the land, he blow the trumpet, and warn the people; Then whosoever heareth the sound of the trumpet, and taketh not warning; if the sword come, and take him away, his blood shall be upon his own head. He heard the sound of the trumpet, and took not warning; his blood shall be upon him. But he that taketh warning shall deliver his soul. But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand. (Ezekiel 33:2-6 KJV)

Does the Bible apply in your life, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)