Friday, August 3, 2018

Good Roots

FallenTree
I found this shared on Facebook.  I wish I knew where it was, I’d love to visit and see if it’s still alive and growing. The verdant growth of a fallen tree with exposed roots really speaks to me. If it were a fruit tree, the thought would be complete. As far as I can tell, this tree helps our atmosphere, provides shade, and looks awesome.

I reminds me of the parable in Matthew 13:3-9 where Jesus speaks of a sower throwing seeds on the ground. Just as I wondered how this tree continues to thrive, His disciples wondered why His parables were so hard to understand:

And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? (Matthew 13:10 KJV)

And, He had an answer:

He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. (Matthew 13:11-13 KJV)

Now that’s a bit hard to understand, isn’t it? “Not given” for them? Of course, they did see what Jesus accomplished – miracles of healing, even raising those who had died – but they discounted their own eyes. They heard what Jesus had to say – and knew He was a great teacher – but they did not heed what He said. And, they did not understand. Do we?

In Matthew 13:18-23, Jesus explains the parable. From what He said, we can understand this tree grew in good soil, prepared for the seeds that would grow from it. Even in storms that could bring this tree down, there was a good root system that tied the tree to the ground and provided nourishment.

I hope I’m like that tree. When something comes along to tear me away from the prepared ground, I pray the good roots will keep me attached and fed, as Jesus explained:

But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. (Matthew 13:23 KJV)

For me, the “good ground” is the preparation to receive the “seed,” which is the word of God’s kingdom. God spoke to His creation from the beginning and inspired certain men to write down His word – referred to as scriptures. I believe those contained in the Bible were intended to help us understand. “Good ground’s” nourishment for a Christian is reading God’s word in prayer, keeping a connection with other believers, and responding to God’s will for our lives.

It may be difficult, we may fall down – but if we have a good root system providing nourishment, we will provide fruit, even if it is simply shade on a hot day. That is helpful. Maybe someone will sit in that shade and read God’s word, building good roots for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)