Friday, January 12, 2018

It’s Not My Job

temp
That’s a book my vice-president bought for his staff – years ago. But I applied it’s principles in a blog – also years ago.

The book was to help people understand software Process Maturity Levels:
    • Initial
    • Repeatable
    • Defined
    • Managed
    • Optimized
A recent discussion with Contrarian (his appellation, not mine) confirmed that maturity levels are constant processing. And, that we are all on different steps in our lives.

In my Christian life, I’ve moved through Initial – making my personal decision whether or not I can accept Genesis 1:1 and John 1:1 as valid. I did, though others have their questions – I’m very firm that those verses are based on another’s experience with a Creator capable of being in contact with His creation. After that, other verses were more easily understood.

Too often I’ve found myself defending my beliefs – and that’s not my job. I should be able to explain why I have faith:

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (1 Peter 3:15 KJV)

But it is not my job to do more than share that. God has a job for me, but it is not to do more than answer what people ask.

Do be careful about asking, though, I have a tendency to over answer. And, when over-answering, it’s hard to remember what I said above: “… we are all on different steps”. Most people like where they are. It is not my job to be concerned about that – until they ask.

That does not change the basics of this blog, though – encouraging people to read God’s word, to get to know God’s Word. And I never lack an interest in reading His word.

It’s not my job to change anyone. It’s not my job to “educate” them. It’s definitely not my job to proselytize them.

Even though you haven’t asked (yet), here’s the top level of my job description:

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. (John 13:34-35 KJV)

If I can’t do that, I must return to the first, initial, step and validate my association with the commandment. If I can’t do that, I must change myself – or not be called one of His disciples. Please note that no where in that verse – or any other – am I entitled to tell another person they need to love one another. It’s not my job.

I’m still in the Defined level when it comes to biblical discussions. Researching to a core source seems to be a talent. That has served me well in two employment positions, but there are times to step away and allow learning to come from other sources – for good reason:

Remind the people of these facts, and solemnly charge them in the presence of God to avoid petty controversy over words, which does no good, and [upsets and undermines and] ruins [the faith of] those who listen. (2 Timothy 2:14 Amplified Bible (AMP])

If you must check to see that it means the same in KJV, be my guest:

Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers. (2 Timothy 2:14 KJV)

There should be profit in words. I can pray it’s the same profit Paul mentioned in another context:

. . . not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved. (1 Corinthians 10:33 KJV)

Yes – that’s an awesome profit, an excellent goal – but not my job. God will take care of it as His word is shared. I believe that.

1 comment:

  1. I still have that book from work. Very good topic. This is one that I can relate to. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)