Wednesday, March 16, 2016

It’s A Big Universe

MilkyWay
I read "Mission Under Fire" by Rex Byers & Jeff Bennington and while I didn’t find it an outstanding book, I was struck by this sentence:
"It’s amazing how you can feel so close to the God of the universe and at the same time not apply the grace that He gives."
The above graphic is our Milky Way galaxy. I selected it from a page of background photos to show just how small our planet is, and our galaxy isn’t considered among the largest, either. The grace of God is not confined to our small planet, is it? Do we then believe it is divided up among so many particles of the universe He has none left for us?

That’s a huge question, isn’t it? We look around (less than a mile within our normal vision, right) or we go up to a mountain and see further (from Lookout Mountain, TN, we see seven states) and it makes us feel the ability of a powerful force that created what is in our sight – but not all identify that with the God Christians believe created everything.

Everything – we now know that includes a lot more than the earth, sun, moon and stars mentioned in the Bible. The universe makes the Milky Way stars seem small in comparison. Yet, I feel close to God.

Close in a way that gives comfort. Non-believers can explain that away with psychology or even physiology explanations, but more people accept that God is active in our lives than those who reject Him. Numbers will not change one individual’s belief. The personal relationship with God is necessary for that peace that passes understanding

Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:4-7 KJV)

When we finally accept God is capable of creating everything in the universe, we often fail to accept that He would possibly be interested in what we do, and that His grace is sufficient for our needs. Paul spoke of that:

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Corinthians 12:7-9 KJV)

Paul found a peace though his life was far from perfect. He knew by heart what Jesus promised him: My grace is sufficient for thee.

His grace is sufficient for me, too, though He is greater than the universe I cannot comprehend. If that’s a problem for you, talk to Him about the application of His grace for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)