Saturday, January 10, 2015

A Prayer Request

Rubens_Praying_Hands

A sweet young Christian lady has requested prayer for strength as her beloved grandmother enters hospice. We all know why hospice exists – both of my parents and my brother-in-law spent days being cared for by hospice. Their employees I’ve known were caring professionals who provided as much peace and comfort as possible for their patients and the families.

No matter how well their job is accomplished, we begin to grieve and feel bereft. We know what is coming, and we do not want that day to arrive. That is no different for Christians than for non-believers. We grieve for what we are going to lose, for what our loved ones are going through and in the midst we seek comfort. It was promised to us:

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. (John 14:18 KJV)

This is a beautiful chapter containing the closing conversations Jesus held with His disciples. He begins with a comforting thought:

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. (John 14:1 KJV)

There are many things that trouble us. He addresses many in this chapter. One is in my father’s favorite verse:

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. (John 14:2 KJV)

That prompted Thomas to ask, “How can we know the way?” I pray that by the time our loved ones enter hospice – and well before we do – we understand the answer to Thomas’ question:

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6 KJV)

But – He was leaving! He just said so. Philip still didn’t understand and asked for a sign, “Show us the Father and that would be sufficient.” How patient is our Lord!

Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? (John 14:9 KJV)

So, He continued explaining that they would not be left alone.

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (John 14:26 KJV)

So, for this young lady, I pray she’ll continue to ask for prayer from friends and family as she remembers the promises for peace, and the reason for rejoicing:

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. (John 14:27-28 KJV)

At the time my loved ones were in hospice, I grieved. I could not rejoice, but that’s what I’m asking from those who will wait should I enter hospice:

If you loved me, please rejoice. I believe what my savior has given us in God’s word. I believe verse 6, that He is the way, truth, life and that we come to the Father through Him. I believe the Comforter is available and able to bring all these things to our memory when we ask. I believe He told us why these things are available to us:

And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe. (John 14:29 KJV)

Join in prayer, please, for the family’s strength as well as comfort for their grief through their loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)