Friday, December 5, 2014

Forgotten

temp
This is a “vintage Barbie watch” from the 1970’s. My first daughter had one that I found on a bookcase in the hall one night. My thought was, “She needs to take care of her valuables!” So, to teach her a lesson, I put it up until she asked about it.

It was forgotten. I don’t know how much later it was that I reminded her to be back home at a certain time, she said she didn’t have a way of knowing what time it was, I thought of the watch! And reminded her of it. She said, “I put it on the bookcase and when I went back it wasn’t there. I’ve looked all over for it.”

I had forgotten where I put it. We searched that house from one end to the other – for years. Emptied the house completely when we moved. Still have the bedroom set – dresser and vanity – where one would expect to “save” things. No watch. We tend to forget things.

I was reminded of that story this morning. I believe a good many people have forgotten what Jesus did, and what we are to do.

My people hath been lost sheep: their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they have turned them away on the mountains: they have gone from mountain to hill, they have forgotten their restingplace. (Jeremiah 50:6 KJV)

Isaiah said pretty much the same thing:

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. (Isaiah 53:6 KJV)

In today’s culture, the word “sheeple” was created as a derogatory description used for followers, not just believers but it is applied there, too. We may have forgotten how sheep and shepherd have been used in the Bible:

I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep. I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. (John 10:11-14 KJV)

When a sheep is not with the flock, the shepherd searches:

What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost. (Luke 15:4-6 KJV)

The ninety-nine are comfortable in the fold. They really aren’t out searching for that 100th – but the shepherd is.  Where do we fit in this story?

Are we one of the complacent ninety-nine simply waiting for the shepherd to complete His work? Are we accepting the work of the shepherd, aiding and serving Him? Are we that 100th, in the wilderness.

He has not forgotten us. He has provided a Comforter:

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (John 14:26 KJV)
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: (John 15:26 KJV)


Teach us, make us remember, give us truth – and testify of Jesus, Christ. Don’t put all that away safely, to be forgotten. It needs to be kept in front of us and put to good use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)