Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Is He Enough?

temp
Looks like something from a cave’s wall – or modern art, but it’s not. It’s a photo from an electron micrograph of an ebola virus. Amazing that something that small has nations responding around the world. Scary, as headlines focus on death statistics as well as the number of people in quarantine. Those numbers grew exponentially, from a small family, through hospital contact and travel interaction.

Yet – in America one man was diagnosed, and died. Two people fighting the illness were brought from west Africa and were cured. Two nurses, infected while caring for the dying man, are being treated at the same facilities where two people were cured. Those statistics are pretty good, aren’t they?

While checking a number of resources to verify just how concerned we should be, within an hour’s drive from Dallas, I not only discovered we’re just fine (and so is everyone else) but learned from one of the patients.

I read a quote from “Ebola survivor Nancy Writebol, an unassuming Christian missionary”:
“The night that they put me on the airplane to evacuate me and bring me back to the U.S. … I was very, very ill and not sure that I was going to make it across the ocean — not sure if I would see David again or our [two sons] again,” Writebol said. ”And I remember, as they put me on the airplane, that I just told the Lord, ‘Lord, I don’t know what’s going to happen and I need your help.’”
And that’s when she said she felt God responding to her with an important question:
“Nancy, if I take the boys, if I take David away from you and if I take your life and you are with me, am I enough?”
What an answer! Is God enough at any time in our lives? I remember what Esau said to Jacob who offered riches as he returned:

And Esau said, I have enough, my brother; keep that thou hast unto thyself. (Genesis 33:9 KJV)

Or Isaiah’s description of those who never have enough:

Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter. (Isaiah 56:11 KJV)

What God offers is much more than enough:

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. (1 Corinthians 2:9 KJV)

If God took our loved ones, and us, to be with Him, is He enough? Consider what He has offered?

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? (Luke 11:13 KJV)

Believing in Him, Nancy Writbol tells us:
“I just rested in God’s arms and in his presence and in his peace that he was enough,” she said.
Do we? No. We read headlines and are concerned for ourselves and our loved ones. We do not consider asking ourselves, is He enough? I believe He is when we follow His instructions:

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)