Monday, June 16, 2014

What I Am

temp
Sunday morning’s worship service held several songs, but two of them described me so very well.  The first is a Gaither song, “Sinner Saved By Grace,” adapted in a hymnal but not much different from the original lyrics. I would put a link up, but there are so many different places that I’ll let you choose whether you read them or listen to them on a video. The title describes me – I am a sinner saved by God’s grace.

I know I’m a sinner, and I ever so much relate to what Paul wrote:

For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. (Romans 7:19 KJV)

There are some other songs that cover the same thought, but this one is so true for me. It begins: 

If you could see what I once was

… but you don’t have to go that far back. I still leave God’s strait and narrow way He’s provided:

Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. (Matthew 7:14 KJV)

Yet, He loves me, as ever much as He loves you. John knew that He loved us first:

We love him, because he first loved us. (1 John 4:19 KJV)

Which brings me to one of the other songs from Sunday morning – God’s Been Good – and other words in that song tell the best part - in my life!!

I feel blessed beyond my wildest dreams when I go to sleep each night
And though I've had my share of hard times, I wouldn't change them if I could
'Cause through it all, God's been good.

If I told you how good you’d either think I was bragging, or you’d think it’s no big deal ‘cause you’ve had better without Him. But – I’ve been blessed by His presence and I love talking with others who know that same blessed feeling.

That’s what I am – a sinner saved by grace and blessed by God.

I’m not alone, either. Oh, there are many that range from ignoring us through making fun of us to those who hate and would harm us simply because we acknowledge the presence of God in our lives and wish to share Him. That’s not new and it won’t go away.

I wish I could say it doesn’t matter, we’ll just ignore them and continue as we are, but God’s love doesn’t work that way. He loved us enough to provide what we need to grow our faith. Why is that faith important?

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV)

Not boasting, I promise! Just sharing how to grow that necessary faith:

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. (Hebrews 11:6 KJV)

So, how does that kind of faith come?

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:17 KJV)

That’s why I suggest Bible reading so strongly. They are freely available – Youversion.com, OliveTree.com, and my personal favorite, e-Sword.net. Yes – there are items for purchase, but the free apps for PC, tablets and smartphones include one or two Bible translations. As you know, my preference is KJV, which may not be yours. If you choose another, check the context of the verses I’ve used. Read the surrounding chapters. Get to know the books author, when and where he lived and why he was inspired to write. Use the tools available to you – and share your experience with me. I’d love to hear what you learn. May God bless the reading of His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)