Thursday, April 3, 2014

Mary and Martha

temp
Yesterday’s lawyer scripture was from Sunday morning’s sermon. Today’s is from Sunday night’s. (Yes – we go twice a day, and enjoy them both!) Both are stories we’ve known from childhood.

I particularly like this painting. The Bible doesn’t mention someone in the kitchen with Martha, prodding her on to think poorly of Mary leaving all the work to her, but we do have someone like that – satan. Once we lend him an ear, we’ve opened ourselves up to all that he has to say.

What struck me most in the story found in Luke 10, is what Martha does as Mary is sitting at Jesus’ feet, listening:

But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. (Luke 10:40 KJV)

What? She can’t speak directly to Mary? She has to draw Jesus’ attention to her and all the work she has to do to feed this group of people staying (at least for a meal) in her house? Wouldn’t it have been much simpler for Martha to have said:

“Mary, I need some help. Would you come help me?”

No – Martha wants Jesus to tell Mary what to do. Just as the lawyer in yesterday’s scripture, Martha wants justification for herself. She wants the attention taken away from what’s going on in the house – and focused on her.

I’ve done that, and I’m certain I’m not alone. Doesn’t have to have been about fixing for company, any time we feel we aren’t in the center of the activity – even though we’re doing exactly what needs to be done at the time it needs doing – we are left out. That’s a lack on my part, as long as I’m doing God’s will in my life, I do not need to be pointing out that someone else isn’t. Especially when we don’t know what they are supposed to be doing.

We stand at the point where we, too, might hear Jesus tell us:

But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. (Luke 10:42 KJV)

Isn’t that what we’re really trying to do when we point out another’s lack? Taking away what they have? How are we to know that what they are doing is not within God’s will?

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)

The painter, Diego Valezquez, tells us in Martha’s face that these are not the things she’s thinking. And, when we are pointing out another’s faults to a third party, we most certainly are not thinking of these, either. What are we taking to Jesus in our prayers about those faults? Are we also confessing our own? He told us what to do, you know:

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? (Matthew 7:3 KJV)

Read the whole section, though, before leaving the subject. There are two things Jesus tells us to do:

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. (Matthew 7:5 KJV)

First – fix ourselves. Get rid of what is keeping us from seeing what God has in mind. When we know clearly what is His will, then we can be of help in our brother’s sight. I like this verse, which helps considerably in reaching God’s will:

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7 KJV)

If our request is for another’s help, ask of Jesus in a prayerful attitude that will bring His peace.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Phyllis. I wish you had a wider readership. I just love your devotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. I really don't think about readership numbers. It's not my intention to even be aware of the statistics. I write what I'm thinking about - usually because I've found a need in my life to know about or be able to express my feelings about a verse or subject. I do love to read, study and apply biblical principles - and I have a hard time with the application!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)