Friday, February 7, 2014

Filtered

temp
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1 KJV)

I’m scratching my head over people who want proof. I can see the need for that in a court of law, and we have rules of evidence that help present valid testimony. When it comes to believing God is, the only proof I can offer is the change that occurs in lives. Just as we view God’s words, those changed lives are viewed with filters.

My own filter includes the belief that God created the heaven and the earth (Genesis 1:1); that He created man to have a duty and we will be judged by our response to that duty; (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14); that He provided salvation (John 3:16) and judgment (John 3:18) . I see the world filtered by God’s word.

I pray I do not see God’s word through another person’s filter! I must take care to see it through reading it myself with a prayerful attitude, not filtering through traditions which resulted from man’s interpretation:

This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. (Matthew 15:8-9 KJV)

I do not wish to be a theologian, with a “systematic and rational study of concepts of God and of the nature of religious truths.” I want what Micah describes:

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? (Micah 6:8 KJV)

I do believe there is very much more to God than we can possible know:

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-9 KJV)

I respect Saint Augustine’s quotes:

"God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed."

“Therefore do not seek to understand in order to believe, but believe that you may understand."

That’s where faith comes in, the only evidence I am able to display that God exists. I cannot show my faith by my Bible reading, though. I cannot show my faith by the quotation of scriptures. Neither can it be displayed by any ability to answer questions or make lists. James realized this fact:

Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? (James 2:18-20 KJV)

Is what I’m doing for myself? Or is it done to show God’s love for others? Do I see needs as described in James 2:14-16, or do I respond to those need with action? Isn’t that the same as God’s judgment?

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. (Matthew 25:41-43 KJV)

Where is our filter set? What changes do we see? What have we changed?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)