Saturday, January 25, 2014

Music

temp
The word “musick” is found 16 times in the King James Bible – 15 in the Old and once in the New Testament, but singing and songs are much more evident. They are a part of worshipping our Lord with praises and thanksgiving.

Singing is first mentioned in Genesis, as Laban berates Jacob:

Wherefore didst thou flee away secretly, and steal away from me; and didst not tell me, that I might have sent thee away with mirth, and with songs, with tabret, and with harp? (Genesis 31:27 KJV)

So, we know they looked upon singing with celebrations, laughter and musical instruments. Things haven’t changed a whole lot. If someone is moving away, we’d plan to hold a party, too.

We next read of singing in Exodus – again speaking of celebrating, only this time it is rejoicing because they were safe from Pharaoh:

Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea. The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him. (Exodus 15:1-2 KJV)

Maybe that’s why I don’t like very much of today’s music which exalts the wrong things in life. Rock music has been known to cause ear drum damage, and I can’t make out the words most of the time, but when I do, I don't find them uplifting. Rap music – well, making out the words is the beginning of the problem! They are words I would prefer not to hear for the most part and some advocate violence. Blues? Nice rhythm, but those words are too sad. Country/Western? About the same as blues – no happiness there, too many words about broken marriages, dead-end dreams and pickup trucks (which I do like, and miss the one we had!)

Music is a money-making industry in today’s culture. Certain combinations of genre and words sell better than others. People did buy what they heard from a naked woman on a wrecking ball – but can they remember what was popular twenty years ago? Is it popular now?

So - my dislikes come down to the words chosen - not the artists, instruments or the music genre. I like stories told in song. I like scriptures in song – the wonderful story of God speaking to us. When I was in Youth Choir (yep, 5 decades ago) I loved this put to music:

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee. (Psalms 51:10-13 KJV)

I have not found that music, though I’ve looked this past year. But, it flows through my mind. As does the last of this verse:

And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth. (Revelation 19:6 KJV)

Sometimes the words have similar meaning, even when not quoting scripture exactly:

O Lord my God! when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works Thy hand hath made
I see the stars, I hear the mighty thunder
Thy power throughout the universe displayed

It is easily equated with:

When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; (Psalms 8:3 KJV)

We have been given a glimpse of eternal life filled with a new song. A “new song” is mentioned often  in Psalms, once in Isaiah, but it’s Revelation that I’m looking forward to singing:

And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; (Revelation 5:9 KJV)

Maybe that’s what Fanny Crosby had in mind for:

Redeemed, redeemed,
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed, redeemed,
His child, and forever, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)