Sunday, September 15, 2013

Today

temp
When we moved to Texas, we visited nearby churches, but they seemed to be missing something. That went on for several years, then we moved to Paradise. What I was seeking was somewhere to worship the Lord.

O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker. (Psalms 95:6 KJV)

Each of the other churches had much to offer. A somewhat small one offered fellowship and several programs for families with growing children. Ours were grown, and our conversations were a generation apart. Another, much larger church, offered something for every age and two morning worship services – one traditional, one more modern in tone and music. A veritable buffet of possibilities.

O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms. For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods. (Psalms 95:1-3 KJV)

Each of the churches had music. Hymns were familiar, but I do not remember once singing:

O worship the King, all glorious above,
O gratefully sing God's power and God's love;
our Shield and Defender, the Ancient of Days,
pavilioned in splendor, and girded with praise.

Now there’s a song that truly calls us to worship!

Then there are others that, while worshiping, remind us of who and where we are:

Come thou font of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing thy grace
Streams of mercy never ceasing
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet
Sung by flaming tongues above
Praise the mount I'm fixed upon it
Mount of thy redeeming love

My favorite stanza in this is:

Prone to wander Lord I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love

I know I’m prone to wander, and I gave into it, leaning on the excuse of moving and not finding a comfortable church home. My loss – not that of the churches we visited. Why was I looking to them to provide worship? That was up to me. They were doing a good job - I was not. I was missing.

It is my relationship with God, not with a church nor a church’s relationship to God. I should not be dependent upon another, but accept the responsibility to follow our Lord’s teaching:

Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. (John 4:21-24 KJV)

There is no excuse for a Christian to refrain from worshipping God. The relationship is broken on our side, not His, and we need to come to Him to be repaired.

O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker. For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if ye will hear his voice, (Psalms 95:6-7 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)