Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Asaph

temp
So the singers, Heman, Asaph, and Ethan, were appointed to sound with cymbals of brass; (1 Chronicles 15:19 KJV)

We read of Asaph in 1 and 2 Chronicles, of his descendants in Ezra and Nehemiah, and in many Psalms. Sunday night a missionary preached on one of his:

A Psalm of Asaph. Truly God is good to Israel, even to such as are of a clean heart. (Psalms 73:1 KJV)

That’s a beautiful truth. Even today we teach that God is good to those of a clean heart.  Much is written about achieving that clean heart. David wrote of it in Psalms 51:10, too.  But, that wasn’t enough for Asaph in this psalm:

But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped. For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. (Psalms 73:2-3 KJV)

Asaph saw the evil men did around him, saw them go unpunished. The sight was causing him to slip in his own belief:

They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they plagued like other men. (Psalms 73:5 KJV)

I thought about that a lot after the service. Yes, I can come up with a list of people who have broken a number of men’s laws, much less God’s, who are considered prosperous. Some fit Asaph’s continued description, too:

Therefore pride compasseth them about as a chain; violence covereth them as a garment. Their eyes stand out with fatness: they have more than heart could wish. They are corrupt, and speak wickedly concerning oppression: they speak loftily. They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth. (Psalms 73:6-9 KJV)

Asaph writes similar to Solomon’s view that all is in vain:

Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency. (Psalms 73:13 KJV)

If those who are corrupt, prideful, oppressive, wicked and speak out against God prosper while the clean of heart are plagued with problems, why not join them? Not until the 17th verse do we hear his answer to his own question:

Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end. (Psalms 73:17 KJV)

God does provide the answers – and offers a most generous promise:

Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. (Psalms 73:24 KJV)

We lack strength – but God provides the sustenance we need:

My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever. (Psalms 73:26 KJV)

No matter what appearances are during life, the Bible is clear as to God’s requirements and the choices we face. Having spent time studying the options, I agree with Asaph:

But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works. (Psalms 73:28 KJV)

When we do draw near to Him, put our trust in Him, we are more than eager to declare His works!  Please, take time to read the entire Psalm - don't miss any of those verses I skipped over. Check and be certain the thoughts I've had are in there for you, too.

I have full confidence in the ultimate salvation of the righteous through God’s blessed provision, as well God's own judgment of the wicked. The outcome is well described in His book. That hasn’t changed since Asaph wrote this Psalm. Won’t change tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)