Monday, July 29, 2013

Prayer Fullness


Praying_Hands
Then the children of Israel did put away Baalim and Ashtaroth, and served the LORD only. And Samuel said, Gather all Israel to Mizpeh, and I will pray for you unto the LORD. (1 Samuel 7:4-5 KJV)

Isn’t that wonderful? People committed to serve the Lord and Samuel committed to pray for them.

Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way: (1 Samuel 12:23 KJV)

Oops, now Samuel expects not only to pray but to teach them the good and right way. That means there is a bad or wrong way, doesn’t it? Must be – next we find:

… and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you after your folly, in that ye have not spoken of me the thing which is right, like my servant Job. (Job 42:8b KJV)

Oh, my! Now God is telling Job’s ‘friends’ there is a wrong and right. What is coming next in this search for “pray for you”?

For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; (Colossians 1:9-10 KJV)

Wow, in the New Testament we find Paul praying for those who seek to walk worthy of the Lord and in every good work. Stands to reason there are some who don’t, right?

I like them all. These verses, stretching across hundreds of years, show a continuing prayerfulness by men of God praying for those seeking to do His will. Jesus set the standards for Christians, too, as he prayed for His disciples, then continued:

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; (John 17:20 KJV)

I believe Jesus of Nazareth is the promised Messiah. There are so many scriptures confirming my belief that it takes the Bible to hold them all. Jesus prayed for me, because I believe the witnesses who have testified before me were truthful, and prayerful. Prayers have been given specifically for me, even as I was a non-believer.

What? You think I somehow was born believing that Jesus lived and died? Foolishness to even think that.

We all must come – within ourselves, without another’s actions – to realize what we’re missing. Then we must recognize and accept God’s merciful gift of His grace. Someone else’s Bible reading and prayer simply put the truth in front of me. I was free to ignore and turn aside. Which I did, until I realized what a tremendous gift was being offered, and accepted Who offered it.

That’s my prayer for readers. I know some who stop by here are dedicated followers of Jesus, mentioned in John 17:20. Others know Him but are lacking in faith, still searching for Samuel’s good and right way. Still others deny God’s existence. I give thanks to Him that He has not yet denied their heavenly existence. That He continues to offer opportunities for them to hear and believe through their word. That he offers, even now – right now – that they increase in the knowledge of God, who loves the unlovable:

We love him, because he first loved us. (1 John 4:19 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)